Calvet museum
 

MUSEUM ROOMS




ROOM LAYOUT

GROUND FLOOR 1 - 5

 

guide-Anglais-9_1

 


1

Honour Courtyardligne

Photo-10

The entrance gate from 1888 was made by Noël Biret, a renowned wrought iron artist, donor and collector. The architecture designed by Jean-Baptiste and François Franque is still clearly visible in the courtyard. Recently, four beautiful flame pots were added with support from the Calvet Foundation.


 

2
Museum entranceligne

 

The entrance to the museum is to the left of the courtyard, to leave the Sculpture Gallery intact and free from any commercial accessories. Audioguides in French and English are available at the ticket window, free of charge.

 


3
Reception room and cloak room ligne

 

Note the impressive flat arch ceiling (approximately 1750), a masterpiece by Jean-Baptiste and François Franque, the architects. This room displays 19th¬century views of Avignon by Paul Huet, Jules¬Romain Joyant, Isidore Dagnan and Leo von Klenze. The latter is best known as the architect for King Ludwig I of Bavaria (1825¬1848).
On the other side of the room, see some of the Iznik faience works from the collection of Dr. Georges Reboul, a physician from Avignon and art collector who particularly loved Ottoman Turkey. Donated in 2001.

 


4
Northern Masters (audioguide) ligne

 

Le-Christ-portant-sa-croix
Le Christ portant sa croix
Abraham Bloemaert. Inv. 2002.5

This room opened in 2006 and displays the rich collection of Flemish, Dutch and German paintings at the Calvet museum.
Assembled in the 19th century, these works attest to the taste of collectors from Provence for the former Low Countries. In 1986, collector Marcel Puech left nearly fifty paintings from the Northern schools, which added significantly to this ensemble which is now an outstanding example of these schools.
Note the presence of German paintings rarely seen in France, such as Koerbecke, The Resurrection of Christ, 1456, purchased in 1834 from the art dealer Guérin, and the painting of the Cabinet of Paintings, signed by Frans Francken le Jeune (circa 1625), an outstanding work from Antwerp. In 2002, the Calvet Foundation acquired an exceptional work by Abraham Bloemaert, Christ bearing his cross (1622).

 


5
Sculpture Gallery ligne

 

hall-galerie

A monumental painting by Philippe Sauvan, Sovereignty hangs in the graceful staircase. The painting, from 1748, originally hung in the former City Hall and had been commissioned by the city to thank Pope Benedict XIV for his assistance during the famine.
Just in front are two sculpted figures which once animated the Town Clock, known as the Jacquemart, which crowned the main city square, aptly called Place de l’Horloge. The tomb of Esprit Calvet will soon be moved from the garden to this space, to protect it from inclement weather and pollution.
The sculptures on display in the gallery itself are characteristic of official taste during the 1820-1900 period. These marble statues, deposited by the national government, are by Cavelier, Pradier, Bosio, Espercieux, Veray and Cordonnier. The peristyle of the mansion, which opens on to the Honour Courtyard and the gardens, similar to the Grand Trianon in Versailles, provides a lovely setting suited to the presentation of these works of classical inspiration.

Previous
1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 8 - 9 Next